Building & Inspections
The Building & Inspection Division strives to ensure quality and excellence in all aspects of the building permitting, inspections, and compliance practices for our citizens by processing applications in a timely and efficient manner and providing thorough building compliance inspections for all construction projects.
Projects That Require Permits:
- New Residential construction
- New Commercial construction (New and Additions/Build-outs)
- Fences (over 40" in height)
- Retaining walls 4" and over (6" + requires an engineer certification)
- Accessory structures (storage shed, detached garages, etc. 100 sq ft and over)
- Decks, stoops, & porches (over 29" in height @ F.F.E.)
- Any structural alterations (moving walls, adding doors, etc.)
- Room Additions
- Trades: Anything other than MINOR REPAIR WORK performed by the homeowner. Any work performed by a licensed trade individual requires a permit.
- Swimming pools, hot tubs, fountains that contain at least 24" of water
- Demolition Permits
The list is not all-inclusive; therefore, property owners or agents for the property owners should always contact the Building and Inspections division before starting work to find out if a permit is required. Failure to obtain the proper permits may result in penalties, stop-work orders, possible citations, and possible removal of structure in violation.
Code Requirements and Inspections:
Once a building permit has been granted, certain procedures must be followed. For inspection information, contact the Building Official or Permit Technician. The inspection request line is 770-964-2244 ext. 401. Inspections must be called in between the hours of 8 am and 3 pm Monday through Friday. All inspections are next-day inspections. The City of Fairburn currently uses the Georgia State Minimum Standard Codes. Information about these codes can be obtained at the Department of Community Affairs.
- Deck Permit Process
- Electrical Reconnection Process
- Mechanical Replacement Process
- Re-Roof Process
- Residential Plan Review Flyer
- Rough-In Inspection Checklist
- Swimming Pool Inspection Process
- Supporting Documents Required for Submittal
- When Are Permits Required
Forms & Documents
View forms and documents for the Building Department.
Building Permit Applications are now available on the new iWorq Portal.