The City is currently updating our Solid Waste Management Plan and needs your input. Please learn more about the Solid Waste Management Plan and read more about how you can participate.
Sanitation service is provided through a contract service with Waste Industries. Call Fairburn Utilities with questions at 770-969-3481. Pick-up is provided one day per week. When services are requested, you will be given your pick-up day, and a cart and recycle bin may be ordered if needed.
Click here for Residential Waste & Recycle Collection Days
Helpful Recycling Documents
Bulk and Large Item Pick Up
GFL will provide bulk service pick up on the 1st and 3rd Tuesday of each month.
City of Fairburn residents will need to contact the City of Fairburn or GFL to schedule the bulk pickup.
- Email Request: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 770-474-9273
- Online Service Request: www.gflenv.com
- Contact City of Fairburn: 770-969-3481
Acceptable Bulk Items:
- Furniture and Mattresses
- White Goods with Freon Removed
- Large/Bulky Household items that will not fit inside a residential cart
- Bulk Item piles cannot exceed the size of a pickup truck bed (4ft x 4ft x 4ft)
- NO Paint, Motor Oils, Gasoline, Tires, Construction Debris or Hazardous Material
- Yard Waste service will be provided weekly on the trash service day
- Leaves and Grass Clippings must be placed in yard waste bags
- Limit to 5 bags per pickup and placed on the curbside
- Limbs should not exceed 4 ft in length
- Limbs should be neatly bundled and placed on the curbside
Yard Debris Pick Up
Fairburn will provide yard waste pickup. As a City of Fairburn residential sanitation customer, the following amounts of monthly yard debris are collected as a part of your normal sanitation charges:
- Up to 12 large bags of clippings or leaves.
- A pile of limbs equivalent to the size of a 95-gallon garbage cart. (Limbs no larger than 8 inches in diameter.)
If you would like more than the allotted amounts picked up, the prices are as follows: $1 per bag and $2.50 per additional pile of limbs.
Biodegradable bags are preferred but not required.
At this time, the City is unable to offer yard debris collection services to those who are not City of Fairburn residential sanitation customers.
Please keep in mind the reason for separating yard waste from garbage is to recycle and reduce the waste stream. If you truly wish to recycle try using a mulching mower instead of bagging leaves and grass. Try chipping tree limbs and sticks with a personal chipper. Consider purchasing a composting bin from a home improvement store and mulch your yard waste.
Outdoor Water Use Information
Water stewardship regulations went into effect earlier this year in Fairburn. It allows daily outdoor watering for purposes of planting, growing, managing, or maintaining ground cover, trees, shrubs, or other plants only between the hours of 4 p.m. and 10 a.m. by anyone whose water is supplied by a water system permitted by the Environmental Protection Division.
The following outdoor water uses also are allowed daily at any time of the day by anyone:
- Commercial agricultural operations as defined in Code Section 1-3-3 O.C.G.A
- Capture and reuse of cooling system condensate or stormwater in compliance with applicable local ordinances and state guidelines
- Reuse of gray water in compliance with Code Section 31-3-5.2 O.C.G.A. and applicable local board of health regulations adopted pursuant thereto
- Use of reclaimed wastewater by a designated user from a system permitted by the Environmental Protection Division of the department to provide reclaimed wastewater
- Irrigation of personal food gardens
- Irrigation of new and replanted plant, seed, or turf in landscapes, golf courses, or sports turf fields during installation and for a period of 30 days immediately following the date of installation
- Drip irrigation or irrigation using soaker hoses
- Hand watering with a hose with automatic cutoff or handheld container
- Use of water withdrawn from private water wells or surface water by an owner or operator of property if such well or surface water is on said property
- Irrigation of horticultural crops held for sale, resale, or installation
- Irrigation of athletic fields, golf courses, or public turf grass recreational areas
- Installation, maintenance, or calibration of irrigation systems
Outdoor water use for any purposes other than watering of plants, such as power washing or washing cars, is still restricted to the current odd/even watering schedule.
Odd-numbered addresses can water on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Sundays.
Even-numbered and unnumbered addresses are allowed to water on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Saturdays.
If you have questions about outdoor water uses in your area please contact the Fairburn Water Resources Department at 770-969-3481.
Water Conservation Retrofit Kits
Water Conservation Retrofit Kits are now available. Residential water customers in good standing whose home was built before 1993 are eligible to receive a FREE water retrofit kit for use in reducing the amount of water used (and correspondingly, their billed amount). Please call 770-969-3481 to request a kit. Quantities are limited and kits are distributed on a first-come, first-served basis. Click here to read more about the City of Fairburn Water Conservation Retrofit Kit Program (PDF).
Payment Center/New Service
56 Malone Street
Monday - Friday
8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
View the Utility Deposits, Fees & Sanitation page for details on sanitation fees.